What is e-learning? This article will make the first approach to e-learning, Allegro media design will review its definition, and we will make a brief overview of e-learning. In addition, we will know its main characteristics, advantages, disadvantages, and modalities.
Definition Of E-Learning
E-learning is a training modality firmly based on information and communication technologies, also called “virtual training,” “online or online training,” and is the result, among other causes, of:
- the need for training in specific circumstances such as geographic dispersion,
- the limitation of hours inherent to face-to-face training,
- of the growing demand for updating to apply to jobs,
- the limitation of spaces in traditional teaching centers,
- need to reduce training/training costs,
- and definitely, of the technological advance of the last decades, which has provided the necessary technical tools.
The eLearning-based education/training is generally based on a web application called a « virtual learning platform » to deliver the contents to the participants, who, through computers and mobile devices, enter there to view the contents and complete the previously designed activities.
Before being made available to participants, eLearning content must be appropriately designed through an instructional design process, which will ensure that they are relevant and positively impact learning.
E-learning is a highly planned way of building learning, composed of methodologies, educational and management strategies, and technological resources. It uses IT intensively to reach a generally small audience.
Its main characteristics are:
- Direct interaction with the content is promoted.
- Intensive use of ICT.
- Geographically or temporally dispersed users.
- Physical separation between instructor/teacher and student.
- The student is the center of training.
- Self-management of learning.
- Two-way communication between students and trainers, either synchronous or asynchronous.
- Record of activities carried out.
- Reduction of training/training costs.
- Flexibility to modify the contents.
What Is Required To Do eLearning
An eLearning project comprises several aspects, among them the virtual learning platform and the development of eLearning courses stand out, essential elements when we approach training / online training.
Advantages Of eLearning
This type of training provides several advantages and benefits, both in educational and corporate spheres, in general:
- The variety of content that eLearning offers is one of the causes of its popularity in recent years.
- Reduction of training/training costs, since it is invested once and later the same contents can be reused, allows greater use of the time of the people who traditionally provide the training or training and reduce per diem costs.
- Flexibility to adapt the contents; if required, the contents can be easily modified for use in other contexts.
- Availability of training to adapt to the participants’ times also gives them autonomy and empowerment.
Few currently question the benefits of online training; however, it is convenient to say that if it is approached incorrectly, giving greater weight to the technological part, or not considering the characteristics of the students, learning is distorted.
Another point to consider is the perception of isolation that the student may have, which can be reversed with an adequate tutoring and collaborative work strategy. It must also be considered that a particular technological culture is required on the part of those who will manage the learning process and the students themselves.